mutt very slow to send mail when not connected to net

When I send mail in mutt when I am not connected to the internet (to be
sent later by exim4 when I connect), mutt hangs for something like 30
sec before it decides that the can't be sent at this moment. This is
very annoying when I read mail on the train and I have to sit and wait
for each mail I write.
Is there a way to tell exim4 not to hang around and do things in the
background, or queue the messages always and handle them later (I am
less fond of that solution).

I am using unstable + mutt + exim4

Thanx