Re: mutt very slow to send mail when not connected to net

* Micha Feigin (michf@post.tau.ac.il) [031218 19:39]:
> When I send mail in mutt when I am not connected to the internet (to be
> sent later by exim4 when I connect), mutt hangs for something like 30
> sec before it decides that the can't be sent at this moment. This is
> very annoying when I read mail on the train and I have to sit and wait
> for each mail I write.
> Is there a way to tell exim4 not to hang around and do things in the
> background, or queue the messages always and handle them later (I am
> less fond of that solution).

exim4 has a number of queue_only options.  You might consider setting
the queue_only_file option and then have your network up and down
scripts create and remove a "flag" file.  For example, set

  queue_only_file=/etc/exim4_queue_only

And then write up some lines in /etc/network/interfaces to remove this
file when the interface comes up and re-create it when it goes down.
This way exim will attempt immediate deliveries when your link is up,
but will just queue them for later delivery when your link is down.

good times,
Vineet