Re: My email is rejected by some sites

On Sunday 14 December 2003 2:37 pm, Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
> Am So, den 14.12.2003 schrieb Al Davis um 17:21:
> > On Thursday 11 December 2003 03:56 pm, Joerg Rossdeutscher
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Yes, many ISPs do that, and it's a good thing.
> > > We all would drown in spam if they accepted mail from
> > > everywhere. There is absolutely nothing you can do except to
> > > use your providers mailserver.
> >
> > On Saturday 13 December 2003 04:46 am, Joerg Rossdeutscher
> >
> > wrote:
> > > It is a good thing. What kind of mail comes from dynamic IPs?
> > > In 99% it will be spam from open relays, misconfigured
> > > adresses (postmaster@at.home),...
> > >
> > > ...... Not everyone should use a private
> > > mailserver. Hobbyists and Freaks should not run such service,
> > > it's a job for professionals, and those have a static ip. I'm
> > > really tired of writing a lot in mailinglists an get lots of
> > > "You mail to cool_kid@local could not be delivered..."
> >
> > So you believe the ISP should censor our mail, or at least be
> > given the opportunity?  You believe that "Hobbyists and Freaks"
> > especially need for their mail to be subject to screening, but
> > corporations don't?
>
> Censorship? Nonsense.
>
> Running and maintaining a mailserver is a difficult job. Incorrect
> configured mailservers can cause a lot of problems to others. So
> everyone should be forced to use a providers machine as smarthost.

Running and maintaing software is a difficult job. Incorrect configured
software can cause a lot of problems to others. So everyone should be
forced to use a providers machine to run software.

> If your provider filters mail, adds advertisings etc... blame the
> provider. Choose another. We don't talk about modifying content.

If your provider filters your software use, adds advertising etc...
blame the provider. Choose another. We don't talk about modifying
content.

> Examples:
> My provider allows "just" some thousand mails to be sent (sent! Not
> received!). This is a lot more I can write, but whenever I cause a
> mailloop it will not be endless.

Examples:
My provide allows "just" some thousand programs to be used (used! Not
looked at!). This is a lot more I can use, but whenever I cause a crash
it will not be fatal.

> Whenever I misconfigure my MUA and send mail with an invalid Reply-To
> ("ratti@local") my provider will not deliver the mail.

Whenever I misconfigure my preferences and use an invalid Menu command
("File->Save As...") my provider will not save the file.

> If I misconfigure my machine as an open relay and someone sends lots
> of spammails from my machine, a lot of providers will not accept that
> mail. And if I configured it to use my providers smarthost after some
> thousand mails my providers stops it, see example 1.

If I misconfigure my machine with users having no passwords and someone
runs lots of annoying programs from my machine, a lot of providers will
not accept those packets.

> Local mailservers are childish, dangerous and nonsense.

Local software is childish, dangerous and nonsense.

--
Wesley J. Landaker - wjl@icecavern.net