Re: My email is rejected by some sites

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 09:08:12PM +0100, Joerg Rossdeutscher wrote:
> Am Mo, den 15.12.2003 schrieb Wesley J Landaker um 02:55:

> > Local software is childish, dangerous and nonsense.
>
> Local software can destroy (your) local stuff.
>
> A mailserver can harm _others_.
>
> I said that yesterday, and today I find this mailinglist full of
> nonsense since one guy is not able to configure his procmail. Now got
> what I mean?

But his procmail rule would do exactly the same damage whether his mail
is routed through a smarthost or sent direct from a local mailserver, so
I don't really see how this provides any support for your position.

Your argument is based on the assumption that an ISP can always be
trusted to set up a mailserver right, and the home user (sysadmin of a
home LAN, etc.) never can.
I've seen enough counter-examples to convince me that this assumption
has no merit.

Frankly, the "no e-mail from dynamic IPs" solution sounds like Microsoft
reasoning. "Take power away from the user, they can't be trusted with
it."

The philosophy of Debian and Linux and open-source in general has a lot
to do with giving power to individual users/administrators.
There are _lots_ of aspects of a computer system that can be destructive
(to others, not just locally) if they're misconfigured.  The Linux way
of dealing with this is to package things with sane defaults, and
educate people to configure their systems properly. Your solution is to
take away useful functionality for fear that it might be abused.
On a Debian forum, don't be surprised if you meet stiff opposition to
this idea.

	Cheers!
--
       Why can't we ever attempt to solve a problem in this country