(pdf,ps,dvi) -->> (rtf, doc) What's the best route?

I am trying to convert some pure text pdf file of a spanish text to doc for a friend,
(he needs to annotate it) but I can't find the rut.
I've tried several ways, but I am stucked either way at the same spot:
1. pstptext, open with abiword, save as doc.
2. open pdf with xpdf, highlight text and middle button to open abiword.
Well, in both cases the problem is the existence of accented letters and other non
english characters in the text.
All ideas are welcome (except screw doc, I wish I could, but have to do it)