Re: postgresql and domain sockets

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 01:01:26 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> What have I missed?
>
> ( postgresql 7.3.4-9 on unstable )

postgresql-client 7.3.4-9 as well?

> I just installed this package.  When I try to do, well, anything, it
> says:
>
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.0"?
>
> Here's what *is* in the directory after firing up the app:
>
> home:~# ls -l /var/run/postgresql/
> total 4.0K
> srwxrwxrwx    1 postgres postgres        0 Dec 15 00:38 .s.PGSQL.5432=
> -rw-------    1 postgres postgres       28 Dec 15 00:38 .s.PGSQL.5432.lock

This suggests that the database backend is present and listens on the
default port (5432).

> I see no .s.PGSQL.0, so I guess the obvious question is, how do I get one?

The obvious question isn't always the right one. The right one is most
likely: "why is psql looking for /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.0 rather than
/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432?".

The socket name encodes the port number, so you may want to try if setting
the port number explictly helps:
	psql --port 5432 template1
If that helps then you may want to check if/why you have the PGPORT
environment variable set. (I can recreate the behaviour you're seeing when I
set PGPORT to 0 or to a non-numeric value)

HTH,
Ray
--
I think the most important thing about Linux is that it gives people the
ability to do what they want.