Re: Next On The Checklist - VNC

Thus spake Roberto Sanchez (rcsanchez97@yahoo.es):
> Unless you need the entire desktop for something, you might try
> X11 forwarding.  You can install Cygwin/X on your '98 box and then
> ssh into your Debian box.  Then you can run whatever X apps you want
> as the user that you logged in as.

True, but there is no preservation of the session. The original
developers of VNC (Olivetti UK) wanted this feature so that people
could disconnect their viewer at work, go home, reconnect and be
exactly where they had left off.

If you need to access the system in short bursts, as I often do my
office machine from home, then IMHO VNC is far superior to X11
forwarding.
--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |