Re: Next On The Checklist - VNC

Thus spake Scarletdown (gsutton9503@charter.net):

> Okay, I just installed the VNC package and successfully accessed a KDE
> desktop from my Windows-98 system.  And I must say, I became instantly
> enamored with VNC.  However, I now have a bunch of questions.
>
> 1:  Every time I connect, I always get root's desktop by default.  How do
> I configure vncserver to access a normal non-root user's desktop
> instead?

You need to run vncserver as that user.

> 2:  The VNC session always gives me the KDE desktop.  However, I would
> like to run other desktops as well (GNOME in particular).  Is there any
> way to state which Window Manager gets used each VNC session?

Checkout the xstartup script in the .vnc directory

> 3:  My VNC desktop always comes up at 640x480.  How do I get it to come
> up at a higher resolution?  When logged into an X-Session directly at the
> console, I have 800x600 as my resolution, and my Windows system is set
> for 1024x768.

vncserver -geometry 1024x768

Although that will involve scroll bars. I like to leave a thin border
all around, so I'm currently connected to my office system from my
notebook at home and the office vncserver is running -geometry
1012x754 - the joy of the vncserver is that is happily supports
non-display-standard resolutions.

> 4:  I also went ahead and installed a vnc server on my Windows-98 system.
>  Now, how do I connect to that one from the Linux box?

Pass.
--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |