Re: Next On The Checklist - VNC

Scarletdown wrote:
Okay, I just installed the VNC package and successfully accessed a KDE desktop from my Windows-98 system. And I must say, I became instantly enamored with VNC. However, I now have a bunch of questions.

1: Every time I connect, I always get root's desktop by default. How do I configure vncserver to access a normal non-root user's desktop instead?

2: The VNC session always gives me the KDE desktop. However, I would like to run other desktops as well (GNOME in particular). Is there any way to state which Window Manager gets used each VNC session?

3: My VNC desktop always comes up at 640x480. How do I get it to come up at a higher resolution? When logged into an X-Session directly at the console, I have 800x600 as my resolution, and my Windows system is set for 1024x768.

4: I also went ahead and installed a vnc server on my Windows-98 system. Now, how do I connect to that one from the Linux box?

All in all, I think I will eventually be extremely pleased with VNC, once I get the finer details ironed out. This looks like it could be one of the most useful open source packages ever conceived. :D

Unless you need the entire desktop for something, you might try
X11 forwarding.  You can install Cygwin/X on your '98 box and then
ssh into your Debian box.  Then you can run whatever X apps you want
as the user that you logged in as.

-Roberto