Re: PDF spec (Was: Re: ooh! debian jewelry)

On Sunday 14 December 2003 09:54 am, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/pdf/specifications.jsp has e.g.
> the PDF Reference, Fourth Edition, Version 1.5 (1172 pages). xpdf seems to
> handle the "Acrobat 5" version of it just fine.

Hmm.  Yes, that's very interesting. I saved a copy, although Adobe
apparently thinks that was illegal of me:

"""
No part of this publication (whether in hardcopy or electronic form)
may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted
in any form, or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying,
recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of Adobe
Systems Incorporated. Please note that the content in this guide is
protected under copyright law even if it is not distributed with software
that includes an end user license agreement.
"""

That's cute wording, isn't it?  Doesn't that pretty much debar saving
the file on my hard drive?  Surely that's a "retrieval system"?

Which says they're trying to deny certain fair use rights, as I read it. In
any case, this may be one reason it's so hard to find, since no one is
legally allowed to mirror it.

I accessed this without registering because you provided a deep-link,
but normally, Adobe makes you go through a forms process to get this
far, AFAICT.  That's probably why Google can't find it, too.

So, yeah, it's there.  And that's better than I thought.  But it still doesn't
quite give me warm-fuzzies.  ;-)

Cheers,
Terry