Re: Use Debian mailinglists with slow connection to Internet?

on Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 03:56:24PM -0700, s. keeling (keeling@spots.ab.ca) wrote:
> Incoming from Karsten M. Self:
> >
> > What's your fetch mode?  I'm finding that fetchmail over 56k is taking
> > ~5-10 seconds per message (mostly depending on how much Swen I've got).
>
> What?!?  Swen, now?  Don't you have access to a shell acct?  If you
> do, kill that crap on the server.  I haven't seen swen on my box for a
> month.

Dialup and POP3 mail access.

I could kill 'em based on size/headers, but choose not to.

It's about 40/day for the past two weeks, which is about 16 minutes'
total download time, distributed over the day (I'm dialup, but pretty
much full time).  I've got a scripted reporting system to LART ISPs.
Reporting the problem appears to help (and identify ISPs who seem to
have...problems dealing with the issue.  It's also been useful for
populating the RFC-Ignorant lookup list at http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/

Doing my bit for the 'Net ;-)

Peace.

    The black hat community is drooling over the possibility of a secure
    execution environment that would allow applications to run in a
    secure area which cannot be attached to via debuggers.
    - Jason Spence, on Palladium aka NGCSB aka "Trusted Computing"