Re: Use Debian mailinglists with slow connection to Internet?

On Sat 13 Dec 2003 12:51:37 +0000(-0800), Karsten M. Self wrote:

> What's your fetch mode?  I'm finding that fetchmail over 56k is taking
> ~5-10 seconds per message (mostly depending on how much Swen I've got).

POP3/fetchmail/exim/procmail. I'm on 56k too, actually about 40k in reality.

I haven't been so lucky as to receive any Swen though. ;-)

> Is the per-message overhead really that high?  Is the digest compressed
> at all (I doubt this).

It's not compressed, unless the decompression happens transparently.

>  ...OTOH, it may reduce a lot of the overhead of full headers.

Hmm, the references and in-reply-to headers have been missing for the last
three weeks. Whoever broke into the Debian servers must have nicked them.
(I've notified the listmaster by the way).

--
Cheers,
Clive