Re: Use Debian mailinglists with slow connection to Internet?

on Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 07:10:11PM +0000, Clive Standbridge (sink@ghaary.connectfree.co.uk) wrote:
> On Sat 13 Dec 2003 01:14:53 +0000(-0800), Karsten M. Self wrote:
>
> > > Alternatively, reduce your online overhead by subscribing to
> > > debian-user-digest instead of debian-user.
> >
> > No.  You get all the traffic in undigestable chunks.
>
> Chunks, yes (that's the point). Indigestible, no. The second paragraph of
> my previous mail explained how to extract the individual messages.

I sort of kicked myself after  sending that -- I've used formail on
digests (decided I'd rather have the un-munged messages to play with),
and am familiar with the idea.

Point I was making:  you're getting The Whole Damned Thing, with no
selection by topic or content.

> And it works. My daily email (most of it from debian-user) used to take
> 20-30 minutes to download; since I switched to the digest it takes less
> than 5.

What's your fetch mode?  I'm finding that fetchmail over 56k is taking
~5-10 seconds per message (mostly depending on how much Swen I've got).
Is the per-message overhead really that high?  Is the digest compressed
at all (I doubt this).  ...OTOH, it may reduce a lot of the overhead of
full headers.

> It's a viable solution to the stated problem of a "slow and expensive
> connection to Internet". Whether it suits the originator of this
> thread more or less than than the other suggestions is another matter,
> of course.

True.

Peace.

    SCO is the thief who puts a gun to his own head and says give me
    your money or I'll shoot.
    -- Bruce Perens  http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=56225&&cid=5456337