Re: Compiling a kernel without making a .deb package.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 at 03:00 GMT, Paul Stolp penned:
> * Monique Y. Herman <spam@bounceswoosh.org> [2003-12-11 05:43]:
>>
>> Btw, I just discovered that lilo bug #222098 appears to still be live
>> in 1:22.5.8-6.  It prevents me from running lilo successfully.  So
>> caveat emptor and all that ...
>
> Hmm, same problem here. looked for a bug report, didn't see it was
> about to report. read this first.

I found the solution embedded in another report, by the way.  Add the
following to your lilo.conf:

#http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=222099
disk=/dev/sda inaccessible
disk=/dev/sdb inaccessible

As near as I could figure from the response to the bug report, this is
not considered a bug so much as a "user education" issue.  I find that
weird, since I never had to add those lines before ... *shrug*

>> Now I just have to remember how to install an old version of a
>> package ... any hints?
>
> lilo doesn't really have any dependencies, and I was getting
> desperate, so dpkg --force-all -i lilo_from_woody.deb
>
> then put it on hold.

I seem to remember woody's lilo being old enough to cause problems for
my system, but I can't recall why.  Anyway, the above lilo.conf mods
fixed it for me.

--
monique