Re: Compiling a kernel without making a .deb package.

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 at 16:02 GMT, John Foster penned:
> Joseph Jones wrote:
>
>> I can compile a kernel into a .deb package as described in the
>> newbiedoc, but I need to compile a kernel with drivers for my
>> laptop's NIC so I can make a rescue disc to do a network install
>> from. Could anyone advise me as to how I do this, if possible in
>> relation to the instructions in the newbiedoc?
>>
>> Thanks :)
>>
>> Joe
>>

> ___________________________________________________________ Download a
> kernel tarball from http:// www.kernel.org  & open it into a directory
> on the compiling system /usr/src/linux ; make sure you have the
> correct modutils installed for the kernel version being compiled.Read
> and follow exactly the instructions contained in the tarball for
> compiling the kernel. Depending on your hardware requirement, this may
> be easy ....or not:-)
>
> John Foster

You can compile debian's kernel without turning it into a .deb.

This is what I do (because it's what I've always done and I'm too lazy
to change).  Note: it does *not* use initrd!

dselect #get latest kernel src package
cd /usr/src/kernel-source-<version>
make mrproper #clean any leftover compile stuff
make xconfig
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make install #puts System.map, vmlinuz, config in /boot; moves last
             #version to blah.old
make modules_install
vi lilo.conf
lilo