Re: Linux is for consumers (WAS: Linux is not for consumers!)

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 06:26, David Baron wrote:
> Problems persist and have gotten nowhere!
For you maybe. It is just a matter of knowing where to look.

> 1. Connecting ADSL -- edited everything including ppp_on_boot, dsl_provider,
> pap_secrets, all that stuff. No go. Running "pon ppp_on_boot" gives me a bad
> tdb and quits. The only tdb reference is from Openoffice so is irrelevant
> here. (All of the little utilities for adding "connections" assume dialups.
> Windows has a virtual VPN adapter to handle that--says it's dialing but it
> ain't.)
Considering the networking is already working betwixt the DSL Modem and
you machine... I suspect you need to understand how most DSL modems
work.

First of you need to establish whether or not your ISP is using PPPoE.
Most do, I suspect yours does. I have yet to have a PPPoE setup fail if
the DSL modem and the Computer can establish a communication aplenty.

For you my dear sir, you probably need to install:

pppoe - PPP over Ethernet driver
pppoeconf - configures PPPoE/ADSL connections

> I am using an Alcatal speedtouch-home modem connected to a T100 card which
> is correctly detected and configured. Can ping the modem 10.0.0.138 and the
> computer 10.200.1.1. I can even get into the modem's own configuration page
> (use at your own risk as we have said!).
>
> 2. Running Java stuff--Open office works. I installed netbeans (a Java
> programming IDE) but cannot get it to run.

add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://jopa.studentenweb.org/debian ./

Then do:  apt-get update && apt-get install j2dk1.4

You should be rocking by then. (Maybe logout and back in as your
unpriv'd user)

> 3. The Adobe Acrobat reader looks gosh-awful. Like Windows 2! I have a
> version 5.08 linux distribution--maybe this will look better?

Acrobat Reader suxxorz. It's got all kinds of useless features.
v5.08-woody0.0 is the latest Adobe has released, and it use the most
ancient widget set known to X11 (this is a Big fault of Adobe, they
could use many newer Widget Sets and have it look really nice). But
there are other PDF readers that are orders of magnitude better. These
are but a few:

xpdf-reader - Portable Document Format (PDF) suite -- viewer for X11
gpdf - Portable Document Format (PDF) viewer
gv - A PostScript and PDF viewer for X using 3d Athena Widgets
kghostview - PostScript viewer for KDE
xpdf-i - Portable Document Format viewer for X11, with decryption
support

If you never look... you will never know.

> 4. Oldie-but-goody hardware which I really would like to use:
>
> sw60xg MIDI sound generator--no IRQ, no DMA, just a port address. This card
> should be accessable from MPU401 (done this way under W2K). That driver is
> there but I havent the foggiest on how to get it running and set it up. I
> would then like to control it through a WINE session (lot's of luck!).
It is available. Just load the module for it. Of course if you only have
OSS stuff it varies.

OSS:
modprobe mpu401
modprobe v_midi

ALSA:
modprobe snd-mpu401-uart.o
modprobe snd-mpu401.o
modprobe snd-rawmidi
modprobe snd-seq-midi-emul
modprobe snd-seq-midi-event
modprobe snd-seq-midi
modprobe snd-seq-virmidi
modprobe snd-serialmidi
modprobe snd-virmidi

> USB -- have a roland MIDI device on this, correctly detected but not shown
> on KINFO. This is of recent vintage and there should be some way of using
> it. I also need some sort of "hot-plug" support for a development project on
> which I am working, also in various windows flavors.
USB:
modprobe usb-midi

OSS:
modprobe v_midi

ALSA:
modprobe snd-rawmidi
modprobe snd-seq-midi-emul
modprobe snd-seq-midi-event
modprobe snd-seq-midi
modprobe snd-seq-virmidi
modprobe snd-serialmidi
modprobe snd-virmidi

> dman2044 audio interface -- PCI, IRQ11--the linux detects that as an AGOSP
> Maestro card. There are no linux or even modern windows (W2K, XP) drivers
> around for this--have to do my production work in Win98. I have an old
> pro-audio16 clunker, an ISA card but I think Linux will support that one for
> listening to MP3s or CDs (I havent even tried them yet!).
ALSA Project:

http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/

I searched @
http://www.midiman.net/support/driversearch.php

Also, you might want to get uptodate info:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php3?vendor=vendor-MAudio#matrix

It appears that the 2044 is not officially supported yet, but you could
try some of the modules... might just work. (or you could write your
own)

Also the 2.6.0test kernels (soon to be final (I hope!)) have a better
set of modules as ALSA is Native to 2.6.x rather than an add on.

> Davicom32 Fax modem -- ISA, detected. Fairly standard and NOT a "win" modem
> (these have never worked on this computer for whatever reason). Haven't the
> foggiest how to set up KFax or anything else to use this modem. IRQ5, I
> believe, sitting on COM3. Suppose I could try talking to it through KPPP.

Standard thing to do is:

dmesg | grep ttyS

It should tell you what is what. Then you should also be interested in
Hylafax giving you the ability to send and receive faxes.

> I would like to go over to Linux for everything except music production
> (since there is no appropriate software yet).

Gads, not this again!

Linux(in general) is not beholden to any one company, entity or person.
Therefore if you want this software write it yourself. On the Other
hand... *IF* you would have even really looked, you would have found(not
a fully inclusive list):

beast - music synthesis and composition framework
brahms - Graphical music editor and MIDI sequencer
csound - powerful and versatile sound synthesis software
ecasound - Multitrack-capable audio recorder and effect processor
ecasound2.2 - Multitrack-capable audio recorder and effect processor
fluidsynth - Real-time MIDI software synthesizer
lilypond - A program for printing sheet music
musixlyr - a MusiXTeX extension for handling lyrics
musixtex - Typeset music scores with TeX
opustex - Typeset music scores with TeX
pmx - A Preprocessor for MusiXTeX
rosegarden - An integrated MIDI sequencer and musical notation editor.
rosegarden4 - Music Editor and MIDI/Audio Sequencer
smurf - A SoundFont editor for Linux / *nix
solfege - Ear training program for GNOME2
tapiir - A tool for real time audio delay and feedback effects
tk707 - TK-707 drum sequencer for a sound card or MIDI device
zynaddsubfx - Realtime software synthesizer for Linux

These are only the ones *I* can find in 5 minutes.

So, as you can see I took all of about 10 minutes to give you some
really good feedback. Remember: http://www.google.com == Your friend. Or
GIYF.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net