Re: First time installation; usb mouse woes

(CC:ing to list, so that others might can benefit from the exchange.)

Stephen Liu wrote:

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 01:44, Kent West wrote:
- snip -

Now I am using a PS/2 mouse instead with /dev/psaux setting
Is the optical mouse usb? ps/2? serial? what? If usb, you'll want /dev/input/mice; if ps2, you'll want /dev/psaux.

Sorry, I forgot to mention.  It is a USB optical mouse.

On another distro under /etc/X11/XF86config
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

then the USB mouse works.  But it does not work in Debian

_Unless_ you're using gpm, the console mouse driver, in addition to the mouse driver in X. In that case, you'll need to get gpm configured properly, repeating the "raw" data, and configure X to look to /dev/gpmdata.

Is it to edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdmconfig ?  What shall I add or delelet
there?

First, decide if you want the console mouse or not. Many people don't; I prefer to have it myself. So I'll assume you want the console mouse.

"apt-get install gpm" and/or "gpmconfig" if it's already installed. When asked for the location of the mouse, enter:
 /dev/input/mice

When asked for the type, enter
 imps2

When asked for the repeat type, enter
 raw

After gpmconfig finishes (or during the testing phase if offered), move the mouse. You should see a white block pointer. If not, I suspect you need to install some usb-related modules. There is no reason to try to get the mouse working in X if it does not work in gpm. Get it working in gpm first.

Then configure X to use the mouse data as it gets repeated from gpm. Run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and when you get to the mouse section, enter "/dev/gpmdata" as the location, and "imps/2" as the type.

===
Rather than deal with two totally different issues in one thread, I'm dropping the CDROM issues for now, and changing the Subject line accordingly.

--
Kent