Re: First time installation

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 05:15:26PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi all folks,
>
> I installed Debian 3.0 on a PII-box for test purpose.  Everything seemed
> going on smoothly, except following problems found after installation.
>
> 1) X-server could not start
>
> At time of installation I have no idea what chip to be selected for the
> old graphic card - Maxi Gamer Phoenix, Voodoo Banshee resulting in
> X-window failed to start (I just selected S3Visage)
>
> # startx
> error popup
>
> /var/log/XFree86.log   attached

Hi S,
what does 'lspci' say?

what does 'X -configure' say.

there are two configure commands for debian.

'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common' and
'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86'

choose 'medium' for configuration options

> 2) Monitor = NEC Multisync XV15+
> During installation no request for entering monitor detail
>
> 3) The PC has both CDRom and CDWriter
> CDRom - slave to Primary IDE
> CDWriter - master to Secondary IDE
>
> One of them could not be detected
>
> Under /dev/
> only cdrom shown, no cdrom1 indicated.

dev/cdrom is a symbolic link. Do ls -l /dev/cdrom
you can create a symbolic link to /dev/cdrom1 to whatever your other ide
device is. Check 'dmesg' or /var/log/messages for more info.

> Kindly advise
> 1) what chip to be selected and what command shall be used to make this
> adjustment including monitor config.

see above.

> 2) How to add CDWriter/CDRom to this box

see above.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> B.R.
> Stephen Liu