Re: finding modules in "make menuconfig"

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 01:39:05PM +0000, David Selby wrote:
> Given a modules name, is there an easy way to locate it in "make
> menuconfig" without searching through & making educated guesses ?
>
> I am trying to locate information on
>
> af_packet ... which has sprung up in /etc/modules ... what does it do ?
> ip_conntrack_ftp ... where is it in "make menuconfig" ?
>
> If I can find them in "make menuconfig" I can view their help files &
> switch them on/off.
>
> Any suggestions
> Dave

You can inspect the "make menuconfig" help files directly in the
kernel-source directory. Reading the description of interest should then
point you to the right place in "make menuconfig" so you can confortably
make changes if you wish.

For 2.4.22 kernels, the help file is Documentation/Configure.help:

$ fgrep -C 10 af_packet Documentation/Configure.help
Packet socket
CONFIG_PACKET
  The Packet protocol is used by applications which communicate
  directly with network devices without an intermediate network
  protocol implemented in the kernel, e.g. tcpdump.  If you want
  them to work, choose Y.

  This driver is also available as a module called af_packet.o ( = code
  which can be inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever
  you want).  If you want to compile it as a module, say M here and read
  <file:Documentation/modules.txt>; if you use modprobe or kmod, you may
  also want to add "alias net-pf-17 af_packet" to /etc/modules.conf.

  If unsure, say Y.

$ fgrep -C 10 ip_conntrack_ftp Documentation/Configure.help
Helper match support
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_HELPER
  Helper matching allows you to match packets in dynamic connections
  tracked by a conntrack-helper, ie. ip_conntrack_ftp

  If you want to compile it as a module, say M here and read
  Documentation/modules.txt.  If unsure, say `Y'.

For the 2.6.0-test9 kernel, the help files are distributed. Find what
you're looking for with something like:

$ fgrep af_packet `find . -name "Kconfig" -print`

Graeme