Re: finding modules in "make menuconfig"

Monique Y. Herman wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 at 13:39 GMT, David Selby penned:

Given a modules name, is there an easy way to locate it in "make
menuconfig" without searching through & making educated guesses ?

I am trying to locate information on

af_packet ... which has sprung up in /etc/modules ... what does it do
?  ip_conntrack_ftp ... where is it in "make menuconfig" ?

I think CONFIG_PACKET is what you are looking for. In my config for a 2.4.18-14 kernel, It's under Networking Options .... Packet Socket.

Here is the help text.

CONFIG_PACKET: The Packet protocol is used by applications which communicate directly with network devices without an intermediate network protocol implemented in the kernel, e.g. tcpdump. If you want them to work, choose Y.

This driver is also available as a module called af_packet.o ( =

code which can be inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want). If you want to compile it as a module, say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt; if you use modprobe or kmod, you may also want to add "alias net-pf-17 af_packet" to /etc/modules.conf.

If unsure, say Y.

Hope that helps

-Nathan