Re: start program at login

Incoming from John L. Fjellstad:
> s. keeling wrote:
>
> > What's the rationale behind this failure to communicate?  If this is
> > annoying to me (a long time user), what's it look like to a new user?
>
> Open Source/Free Software developers are suffering from a severe form of
> NIH.  Everybody thinks other people's solutions suck, and their solution is
> the solution to end all solutions.
>
> Of course, the upshot of this, and it's somewhat ironic considering the SCO
> case, is that OS people are even more respectful of other people's code

All very reasonable, but this is Debian.  Isn't it the X package
manager's job to define/enforce some common guidelines?  Ie., "Sure,
go ahead and start up a dcopserver if you want, but that's down there
in your stuff.  Up here, in the standard Debian stuff which executes
your stuff, this is how it's going to be done."  That would respect
others' ways of doing things, yet respect the user too who's the one
who has to get it to work (and if he can't, they've wasted their time).

I don't mean to oversimplify.  It's just pretty annoying at times to
have gone from good old .Xresources/.Xdefaults defines darn near
everything to today's state of affairs where gahd only knows what
controls how some app functions.

- -