LSI Fusion MPT ?

I'm trying to install Debian on a Dell Dimension 360 with an LSI
21320 Fusion MPT SCSI adapter. As I understand things, most 2.4.18
kernels don't support it but 2.4.19 does. Unfortunately, the Woody
bf24 install uses the former.

I've tried making a rescue disk based on 2.4.22 but initrd.img is too
big, and leaving it out seems to prevent it from finding the root
disk.

I've tried using the Sid install but even after adding the correct
device with mknod it won't mount existing partitions implying it
doesn't include the needed driver.

Does anyone have an idea how to get Debian installed on this
configuration ?

--
Kevin Bailey