Re: Anfrage f?r einen Linktausch an debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 at 03:30 GMT, ben_foley@web.de penned:

> it's not just the grammar. there are two meaninngs for 'seite': page
> and side. the situation is also confused by the fact that 'links'
> means left, but is also used, in german, to refer to hypertext links;
> as is 'seite', meaning page, as in web page. literal translation
> results, in this case, in garbled nonsense. the sense of any phrase,
> in any language, is an issue of context. as far as i know, there is no
> engine yet developed that is capable of grammatically parsing phrases
> in one language correctly, let alone having the capacity to render
> coherent translation from one language to another.

Sounds like a handy place for fuzzy logic (I think that's the correct
term in this case?), where if "links" appears in combination with, say,
street names and whatnot, it's given a weighting toward "left," and if
it appears in combination with, say, technical terms, it's given a
weighting towards "web link."  Actually, I could swear I've read
recently about *someone* trying to implement something like that, but
can't remember where.

In the meantime, maybe these translators should do something like
[links: left or web link] if there's a word with multiple definitions.

--
monique