Re: Wvdial and mysterious /dev/ttyS0 permission change

Am Sonntag, 7. Dezember 2003 22:33 schrieb csj:

> I've always wondered why it should require root-level access (or
> its equivalent in the case of kppp) to set even the "safer"
> config options in ppp and friends, e.g. the dialup number and
> login password.  Couldn't there be a ppp group so that even
> Friend X, sharing the dorm computer, could log-in to the ISP of
> his choice without waking up the admin?

As Andreas Janssen still added, that is not a problem. But I'd like to
complete. As root perform a ...

adduser [user] dip
adduser [user] dialout

... which should give the specified user access permission to dialout and use
ppp. As you can see:

-rwsr-xr--    1 root     dip        230604 2001-12-10 12:35 /usr/sbin/pppd
 crw-r-----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 2002-01-07 14:12 /dev/ttyS0

In my case if you as user would dial out and ppp dies, the mysterious
permission change of ttyS0 occurs. Not as I use kppp which works great.
I think it is a wvdial problem which has nothing to do with Debian itself.

PS this Debian concept with separate group permissions is very efficient and I
think gives more transparency as you would install programms as suid bit and
must run as root. Also chmod 666 to devices as done by different
distritbutions seems wired to me.