Re: Buggy Kernel How-To?

Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> writes:

> So, in short, what I found by googling about for some time: The correct
> way seems to be to put the kernel-source in my (non-root) home
> directory, and then
> cd /usr/src/
> ln -s /home/<someuser>/kernel-sources linux
>
> and then, as non-root, compile the kernel in
> /usr/src/linux/
>
> (And then forget about some of the stuff I read in the Kernel-HowTo
> ?)

I'd certainly believe that the Kernel-HOWTO isn't the best source of
information for compiling kernels on Debian.  "Unpack, build, and
install everything as root" will *work* on every Linux out there, even
if it's unsafe.  I'd look at the kernel-building documentation on
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/ (specific to Debian).

None of my machines have a /usr/src/linux.  I don't miss it.  On my
laptop I build kernels in /home/dmaze/src/kernel/kernel-source-$KVERS;
my home desktop machine builds kernels for both itself and my firewall
machine in /usr/local/src.  Real root privileges are only involved in
building the kernel when I install the kernel-image packages using
dpkg and the subsequent reboot.  :-)

> The background to all this is that I tried to get the kernel sources as
> non-root while being in  /usr/src/<some.kernel.directory> with rsync:
> Which, IIRC, isn't possible. A non-root doesn't have the permission to
> download stuff to this dir, right?

Add yourself to the 'src' group to get write access to /usr/src; the
'staff' group for /usr/local/src.

	-- Abra Mitchell