Re: Newbie! Some help needed.

David Baron wrote:
I installed from a Knoppix CD image. Rather painless and it found most of
the hardware as well. Now to get the thing productive :-)

1. How does one set up the network to work with ADSL (using a 10/100
connected to an ADSL modem)? (Most everything I have seen is for Red Hat.)

I am not sure what you mean here, you have a router and you are connecting to that router? You have a Debian box as a router and an internal LAN behind it? In my case, I have my Debian box working as a router. I changed from Redhat recently; well i have a triple boot system (Win2K, Fedora and Debian) now. As long as my two NICs in the computer were recognized okay (or their respective modules loaded) in Debian, my firewall script that handles IP forwarding and NAT worked perfectly -- it was the script I had been using in Fedora.

In either case, it will be helpful if you went through the masquarading how-to in Linux using iptables.
http://www.linux.se/doc/HOWTO/mini/Home-Network-mini-HOWTO-3.html
http://www.lesbell.com.au/Home.nsf/0/7220a8796ab50bbbca256cd400045e0b?OpenDocument
http://www.spotswood-computer.net/present/iptables2.html
www.haifux.org/lectures/70/ipmasq-lecture.pdf

2. How does one set the bootup or logon script so that the Windows
partitions will be mounted when I log on?

Not in the logon scripts, change the /etc/fstab file. See:
http://www.thekore.co.uk/tutorials/html/partitionmnt.shtml
http://www.kv.minsk.by/summer/debian2-tuneup.html
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/doc/debian/ch-disks.html

or search google for:
/etc/fstab mount windows partition debian vfat

Note that in Redhat the mount points are int /mnt, in Debain usually they are in /. You may choose what you want to do.

HTH,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)