groups [was: Wvdial and mysterious /dev/ttyS0 permission change]

Alexander Fitterling wrote:
PS this Debian concept with separate group permissions is very efficient and I think gives more transparency as you would install programms as suid bit and must run as root. Also chmod 666 to devices as done by different distritbutions seems wired to me.

I've never really understood it. When I add a user I want them to be able to USE the blorking computer, not some crippled subset of the computer dreamed up by someone who is thinking about Multics. I don't want to remember that I have to add them to groups: audio, dialout, dip, etcetera. The list of these groups seems never clearly defined, and I whenever I add a user it seems they've invented some new group that I've never heard of. Is there some way to say "and every gid above 1000 gets auto-membership to these groups: audio, dip, yaddayadda"?