Re: FHS and other things Mark should have read with comprehension (was Re: unchecked 31 times)

Marc Wilson said on Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:01:12PM -0800:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 12:17:52PM -0800, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> > Minor nit: netatalk requires a device node in /var to support Appletalk
> > printing.  Admittedly, for most people, this is not an issue.
>
> Not arguing, but what device node?  Where?  When did this start?  What
> creates it?  The package doesn't own any files in /var, and I can't see
> anywhere in its postinst that it creates such a node.

It may not require it anymore.  A while back, I had to setup Appletalk printing
to a Linux server (using papd), and it required that every papd printer spool
have its own null device.  If you only have one printer, then /dev/null was
fine; if you had more, the docs suggested making a null device in each spool.

I don't know if this is still necessary, but as I said; it certainly doesn't
affect many people, and you probably can place all of the null device files
into /dev anyway.