Re: FHS and other things Mark should have read with comprehension (was Re: unchecked 31 times)

Karsten M. Self said on Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:15:29AM -0800:
> See, variously, the FHS, and my own partitioning guidelines:
>
>     http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/NixPartitioning

Good page.  I should have known about the Jihad.

>     - /var need only be writeable and executable (nodev, nosuid).

Minor nit: netatalk requires a device node in /var to support Appletalk
printing.  Admittedly, for most people, this is not an issue.

>     - /boot need not be mounted at all.

This is clever.

>   - Minimal damage.  Any actions affecting a partition are limited to
>     that partition.
>
>   - Minimal damage.  The probabilities of corruption of a partition are
>     directly proportional to its size.  Minimize the size, minimize this
>     likelihood.

I think I'm approaching this problem from a difference perspective; it takes
less time for me to rebuild a system from scratch than it would to recover the
system partitions (automated rebuild and system config recovery and all that),
so this problem doesn't really affect me much.

> > Okay, so neither your /tmp or /var/tmp volumes are available at boot
> > time.
>
> The /tmp directory is.  If booted to a minimal, root-only filesystem,
> it's possibl to write to /tmp.  You should, of course, clear these
> files if created.

Good point.  If you wanted to consolidate /tmp and /var/tmp, the symlink would
have to go the other direction.

> Well, for starters, /tmp *is* cleared between system boots, and is
> appropriate for data which *must* not be preserved between boots.  The
> definitions are not identical, the directories are not equivalent.

Your definition above is much stricter than what the FHS actually says, and
under your definition /tmp and /var/tmp are not equivalent.  Fair enough.