Re: HOWTO configure Debian Woody

* Roger Chrisman <rogerhc@pacbell.net> [031203 14:36]:
> Googling my topic, I find,
> http://www.maenad.net/geek/di8k-debian/node5.html
>
>    "The way to reconfigure the X-server is by using dpkg (what else?). Do:
>
> 	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Thats right.

>    to reconfigure X. It's best just to change one parameter at a time, so
>    you can see what's working and what's not. "
>

> Is that good advice?

*shrug*, I guess it depends on the person.

> Here's what I get when I try:
>
> 	p3a:/home/roger# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> 	/usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xserver-xfree86 is not fully installed
> 	p3a:/home/roger#

Aha. Try:

dpkg --configure xserver-xfree86

If the files had already been unpacked I think the above should do the
trick. If it fails then do:

apt-get install xserver-xfree86

> I thought I selected Desktop System, among other things, in the
> install. Could I have missed it? What should I do now to check, and
> fix, this?

Try the above.

HTH,

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test11-looxt93c1 i686 GNU/Linux