Re: HOWTO configure Debian Woody

Hello

Roger Chrisman (<rogerhc@pacbell.net>) wrote:

> Googling my topic, I find,
> http://www.maenad.net/geek/di8k-debian/node5.html
>
>    "The way to reconfigure the X-server is by using dpkg (what else?).
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
>    to reconfigure X. It's best just to change one parameter at a time,
>    so you can see what's working and what's not. "
>

> Is that good advice?
>
> Here's what I get when I try:
>
> p3a:/home/roger# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xserver-xfree86 is not fully installed
> p3a:/home/roger#
>
> I thought I selected Desktop System, among other things, in the
> install. Could I have missed it? What should I do now to check, and
> fix, this?

To make sure everything you need is installed, do

apt-get install x-window-system-core

Use dpkg to check the status of a package:

dpkg -l xserver-xfree86

should show ii for installed.

You can, by the way, use etherconf (apt-get etherconf, dpkg-reconfigure
etherconf) to configure/reconfigure your ethernet card if you don't
want to edit /etc/network/interfaces directly.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen