Re: HOWTO configure Debian Woody

on Wed, 03 Dec 2003 02:50:57AM -0700, Bob Proulx insinuated:
> Roger Chrisman wrote:
> > Googling my topic, I find,
>
> I read your followup and know that you have solved this problem
> already.  (In fact I am quite impressed with your ability to dig into
> the problems you have encountered and resolve them.  Very good!)  But
> I wanted to comment anyway and hopefully this will be useful
> information.
>
> > http://www.maenad.net/geek/di8k-debian/node5.html
> >    "The way to reconfigure the X-server is by using dpkg (what else?). Do:
> > 	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
> >    to reconfigure X. It's best just to change one parameter at a time, so
> >    you can see what's working and what's not. "
> >
> > Is that good advice?
>
> Yes.  That advice to use 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' is fine
> advice.  But I don't know about changing only one thing at a time.
> How can you do that if it is the first time?

as the person who wrote that little howto (woo-hoo! i'm happy it's
getting use :), let me clarify a bit.

i meant that in the sense that once you have the xserver-xfree86
package set up for the first time -- as i did during the initial
install -- if it doesn't load as you think it will, or if there are
problems, the best way (that i've found) to tweak your configuration
is to use dpkg-reconfigure, and to only change one thing at a time --
that way, you can isolate what single changes affect.

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/