Re: How to get away with small /var partition

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 07:01:20AM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote

> Incidentally, I don't know why you'd "blow away" your system just
> to do an upgrade.  Obviously, if you do that, you're going to be
> reinstalling everything anyway.

  I use separate partitions for the OS and my data.  That way, I can
blow away the old version of the OS, and install the new version,
without touching my personal data.  I have found out "the hard way",
that upgrading OS versions "in situ" tends to cause more problems than
simply wiping it out and installing the new one.  My worry about LVM is
that if LVM depends on the OS/kernel to exist, then when the old OS is
wiped, the "logical volume" holding my personal data ceases to exist.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
Email users are divided into two classes;