Re: How to get away with small /var partition

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 09:54:55 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 07:01:20AM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote
>
>> Incidentally, I don't know why you'd "blow away" your system just
>> to do an upgrade.  Obviously, if you do that, you're going to be
>> reinstalling everything anyway.
>
>   I use separate partitions for the OS and my data.  That way, I can
> blow away the old version of the OS, and install the new version,
> without touching my personal data.  I have found out "the hard way",
> that upgrading OS versions "in situ" tends to cause more problems than
> simply wiping it out and installing the new one.  My worry about LVM is

Maybe with more primitive distributions, but not with Debian.  If you are
using apt-get update and dist-upgrade on a regular basis, then you are
incrementally upgrading your system anyway.

> that if LVM depends on the OS/kernel to exist, then when the old OS is
> wiped, the "logical volume" holding my personal data ceases to exist.

I don't really understand what you're getting at.  But anyway, LVM is
quite safe.  I would make a small non-LVM root, then break out other
filesystems as you see fit.

LVM really is very good.  There are two Debian packages:  lvm10 and lvm2.
I personally use lvm10 and won't start using lvm2 until the package
description indicates that it is really production-ready.

There is also a webmin module for LVM which is quite useful for some
tasks.

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman