Re: How to get away with small /var partition

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:39:17 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 03:48:57PM -0500, Paul Morgan wrote
>
>> I use LVM myself, as I'm often changing stuff and moving things around.
>>
>> I love LVM.  No symlink workarounds, able to keep within the FHS
>> and use disk space efficiently.
>
>   Questions about LVM...
>   1) Does it work with ReiserFS
>   2) Will it survive having the OS blown away (e.g. 3.01) and a new one
>      (3.02) installed
>   3) Is it a regular option (I'm not into kernel patching)

Answers to all your questions:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html

Incidentally, I don't know why you'd "blow away" your system just to do an
upgrade.  Obviously, if you do that, you're going to be reinstalling
everything anyway.

Oh, one other thing:  snapshots don't work without a kernel patch.  This
is a relatively minor thing unless you're running a server on which you
can't schedule regular downtime.  If you can live without snapshotting
(e.g. going to single user mode to back up some filesystems), then it is
fine.

Personally, I reworked an older VFS locking patch and patched 2.4.22 so I
can do snapshots.

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman