Re: scsi emulation for CD burner

marcos <marcosbezerra@altern.org> writes:

> Lucas Bergman a écrit :
>
>>This could be a bug in your drive or in the ide-scsi kernel module.
>>If no one else chimes in with clever ideas, then this may be a
>>question for the Linux (kernel) hackers.  [Ominous music begins
>>playing in the background.]
>>

> Thanks for answering.
>
> I've got an email saying that this was a known bug (#213663).
> Updating the kernel to 2.4.22-4 may solve the problem.
> I'll check it tomorrow...

Oops! The e-mail was from me, and I accidentally hit Reply instead of
Followup. Here it is for the list in case anyone else is interested:

marcos <marcosbezerra@altern.org> writes:

> (Question #1 : is it true we have to use scsi emulation in order to
> burn CDs with a IDE cd burner ?)

Yup---to use cdrecord, that is.

> kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scssi0,
> channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Inquiry 00 00 00 ff 00
> hdc: lost interrupt

I got an error much like this a few days ago while updating my kernel.
I stayed up late looking into and found:

   * It's a known bug, #213663.[1]

   * The changelog for the upstream 2.4.23-rc2 kernel release says:
     "Fix ide-scsi initialization lockup (kudos to Alan)."[2]

   * The changelog for Debian's kernel-source-2.4.22 package, version
     2.4.22-4 (11/15/2003), says: "Fixed initialisation lockup in
     drivers/scsi/ide-scsi.c (bk, closes: #213663)."[3]

I was using kernel-source-2.4.22_2.4.22-3 and, indeed, updating to
2.4.22-4 fixed my problem.

> Question #2 : I've read contradictory things about "hdc=ide-scsi".
> Some people say that this line is useless when compiling ide-scsi as a
> module. Some people says you HAVE TO put it there anyway. And some
> people say that the correct syntax for the latest kernels is
> "hdX=scsi" instead of "hdX=ide-scsi".

One source[4] says, "It was 'hdx=ide-scsi / hdx=ide-cdrom /
hdx=ide-floppy' in 2.2.x kernels. In the 2.4 series this has been
changed to 'hdx=scsi'." An even better source[5] (which quotes the
kernel source) says that either works. Apparently the hdx=scsi form is
newer and hdx=ide-scsi was kept for comptability.

[2] http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/testing/patch-2.4.23.log
[3] /usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.22/changelog.gz
[4] http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/SCSI-2.4-HOWTO/llevelpseudo.html
[5] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200101/msg02986.html

--
Gregory K. Johnson