Re: Theoretical APT question

on Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 02:01:42PM -0800, Wm.G.McGrath (wgm@telus.net) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way I can reset the directory/partition that apt uses
> to install software? I believe it currently install packages under
> /usr... and /var....
>
> The history of *nix is very diverse and reflected in the (needless?)
> complexity of its directory structure. /usr is very large and used
> for many purposes, and I'd like to move a little beyond it's current
> default - at least for my own system.
>
> I'd like to be able to set up a separate partition/directory to
> contain all the software that I install using apt for security,
> backup and upgrade purposes. The advantage of this would be similar
> to using a separate partition/directory for /home, /opt or
> /usr/local.
>
> Thus, for example, I'll be able to upgrade my base system without
> affecting my packages and upgrade them later, one at a time, at
> my leisure if I wish. (Yes I know there are other ways of doing
> this.)
>
> A separate partition could also provide advantages for backup and
> security, but what I'm really interested in is in keeping things
> well organized and neat. I'd like to create a partition something
> like /apt with subdirectories like /apt/bin, /apt/opt,
> /apt/usr/local, etc. It might even be nice to put each app/utiltity
> in its own directory? :)
>
> Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does apt rely on any
> environment variables for example?

You're bonkers.  And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

As others have stated:  DEBs are not relocatable.  For good reason.

If you want to maintain a separate install root, look at a chroot
install or jail.  Or a "system2" installation with a base set of
security/recovery utilities (I've posted about same in recent past on
list, with a pointer to my own packages list).

Much of your objective could be attained via a reasonable partitioning
scheme.  The existing Debian Policy specification of what files go where
already makes system backup and restoration trivial.

Peace.

    "Just another million years," said Marvin, "just another quick
    million. Then I might try it backwards. Just for the variety, you
    understand."
    -- HHGTG