Re: cdrecord problems

Brian Frederick Kimball wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
> > SCSI emulation support
<snipped>
> > Part way through is what you sent, at the end is what I sent.  To me this
> > particular passage is self-contradictory.  At one point it says you can, and
> > then goes on to say that you can't.  Which portion am I to believe?
>
> I read this to mean that by default the native support will be used if
> both are compiled into the kernel, and you can change the default by
> using hdx=scsi.

Hhmmm ... I can see what you mean.  Now, anyway.  If I didn't suck so badly
at writing documentation I'd offer to write a clarification for this
particular entry.  But as bad as I am at such things I'd probably wind up
making it worse. ::grin:: But I might take a whack at it anyway, as I still
feel the current entry to be too unclear about this.

> > Then there's the matter of whether it's hdx=scsi or hdx=ide-scsi  One source
> > says one thing, another says another thing.  What's more confusing is they
> > *both* *work*.  You got your's right from the kernel docs - an authoratative
> > source, to be sure.  I got mine from the CD-Writing HOWTO - not an
> > authoritative source, but it does work.
>
> drivers/ide/ide.c:

It doesn't get any more authoritative than this, does it? ::grin::

> [...]
>         /*
>          * Look for drive options:  "hdx="
>          */
>         if (s[0] == 'h' && s[1] == 'd' && s[2] >= 'a' && s[2] <= max_drive) {
>                 const char *hd_words[] = {"none", "noprobe", "nowerr", "cdrom",
>                                 "serialize", "autotune", "noautotune",
>                                 "slow", "swapdata", "bswap", "flash",
>                                 "remap", "noremap", "scsi", NULL};
>                 unit = s[2] - 'a';
>                 hw   = unit / MAX_DRIVES;
>                 unit = unit % MAX_DRIVES;
>                 hwif = &ide_hwifs[hw];
>                 drive = &hwif->drives[unit];
> ->              if (strncmp(s + 4, "ide-", 4) == 0) {
> ->                      strncpy(drive->driver_req, s + 4, 9);
> ->                      goto done;
>                 }
> [...]
>
> OK, apparently you can prepend any ide driver option with "ide-" and
> it will still work, so I guess we're both right (but my choice is
> clearly the preferred one :-).

Yes on all three counts - the ide-scsi works, we were both right, and your
choice is indeed the preferred.  Next time I do a kernel compile I'll most
likely switch (if for no other reason than to be on the safe side in case
the ide-scsi option support goes away), but I probably won't bother changing
the lilo stanza for the current kernel.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.