Re: scsi emulation for CD burner

marcos <marcosbezerra@altern.org> writes:

> Hello

Hi.

> (Question #1 : is it true we have to use scsi emulation in order to
> burn CDs with a IDE cd burner ?)

Not exactly.  However, it is true that the most popular free software
CD recording application -- cdrecord -- works only with SCSI.  I've
never heard of a Linux free software CD recording application that
works directly with IDE recorders, though there may be one.  There is
one for FreeBSD (there *had* to be, since FreeBSD doesn't support the
SCSI-over-IDE trick that Linux, NetBSD, OpenBSD, etc. do).

> The problems begin when the system tries to load the ide-scsi module
> (when I manually load it with modprobe, when I run cdrecord
> -scanbus, when I try to mount a CD, etc...). As soon as the module
> is needed, the system enters an infinite loop :
>
> syslog shows me this:
>
> kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scssi0,
> channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Inquiry 00 00 00 ff 00
> hdc: lost interrupt
> kernel: ide-scsi: The scsi wants to send us more data than expected -
> discarding data
> kernel: ide-scsi: [[ 12 0 0 0 ff 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ]
> kernel: ]
> kernel: ide-scsi: expected 256 got 352 limit 256
> kernel: hdc: lost interrupt
> kernel: ide-scsi: The scsi wants to send us more data than expected -
> discarding data
> kernel: ide-scsi: [[ 12 0 0 0 ff 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ]
> kernel: ]
> [... endless loop]

This could be a bug in your drive or in the ide-scsi kernel module.
If no one else chimes in with clever ideas, then this may be a
question for the Linux (kernel) hackers.  [Ominous music begins
playing in the background.]

Most of what you're doing seems like what I do, and I can use my IDE
CD recorder just fine with cdrecord and ide-scsi.

> PS one more thing : my cd burner does work (I've just tested it
> under windows to check... and it works !)

Lots of buggy hardware "works" with Windows.  Unfortunately, that
doesn't prove very much.

Lucas
--
Lucas Bergman <lucas@fivesight.com>