Re: Totally [OT] Re: Opium

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 10:42:57PM -0800, Tom wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 01:21:55AM -0500, ScruLoose wrote:

> > Great theory.  Shame it's such a dismal failure in practice.
> > People have been getting "disappeared" lately in The States.  Somebody
> > whispers "terrorist" and you get the midnight arrest, conviction in a
> > completely secret tribunal, family and friends don't even know what
> > you're _charged_ with...
>
> That's a pretty distorted picture of reality.

How about indefinite detention for _no_ charges:
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2003/11/08/court_upholds_us_detention_power/

Secret trials in USA are not just my "distorted picture":
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/1030/p01s02-usju.html

"There are secret lists governing whether you can get on an airplane,
secret surveillance of e-mail and the Internet, and new warrants
allowing the government to search your home, your bank records and your
medical files without your knowing it."
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/projects/liberty/story/7457444p-8400138c.html

"The Patriot Act isn't just about terrorists anymore"
http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Nov/11152003/commenta/commenta.asp

And so on.

> I was over in Amsterdam twice in 2002 and took a walk through some of
> the large Muslim immigrant neighborhoods.  Amerstdam is kind of a shady
> city anyway, but I have to tell you, Europe is blatantly full of people
> plotting criminal activity.

Aside from having little or nothing to do with anything, this just
stinks of racism.

> Y'all need to clean up your own backyard.

Even if I chose to put any faith in your "spidey-sense" about Muslim
neighborhoods in Amsterdam, this leaves two obvious questions:
1) I'm in Canada. How exactly is Amsterdam my backyard?
2) If I point out a legitimate problem, it doesn't count unless I can
   prove there are no problems elsewhere? WTF?

	Cheers!
--