Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 12:41, donw@examen.com wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:35:20PM -0500, Alfredo Valles wrote:
> > On Friday 14 November 2003 1:14 pm, donw@examen.com wrote:
> >
> > > On the upside, those with the brains to move
> > > themselves up on the socioeconomic ladder will do quite well.
> >
> > I don't think they will do so well with the number of guns you have in the
> > streets, bullets don't distinguish Ph degrees.
>
> PhDs and brains don't go hand-in-hand; part of being smart is knowing
> how to work within whatever cultural limitations you must; in the case
> of firearm-owning Americans, you just need to be smart enough not to not
> get on their bad side.  Social engineering at its most useful.

There are roughly 40M handguns in this country, and quite a number
of states have "right to carry concealed handgun" laws.  If the
vast majority of people had such a low level of self-control, we
should see, for example, multiple Columbines[1] on a daily basis.
Since we don't, what conclusion can we draw from this?

[1] For those (particularly non-US citizens) who don't know, back
in the mid-1990s, 2 white teenagers from a affluent family walked
into their High School armed with rifles and pistols.  They proceed-
ed to blow away those they didn't like, whatever the reason.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"The UN couldn't break up a cookie fight in a Brownie meeting."
Larry Miller