Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 08:59:18PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
[massive snip]
> It seems to me that a fundamental problem with this (common) viewpoint
> is that guns have *always* been common in the US.
>
> Something has happened, though, to alter peoples' value of life.
> In 1981, when I graduated high school, guns were an "inner city"
> (read: poor, black & urban) problem.  Kids in other schools (includ-
> ing rural black schools) still settled their angry disagreements
> with their fists.  Now, in most *any* public high school, an angry
> disagreement could result in a knifing or shooting.

Again, here's my wierd-ass analysis:

The reality is 100% of the "hard-core graphic violence" you see on TV is
absolutely fake and is not even *remotely* close to the reality of what
a gun does to a human body.  An actual shotgun blast is 10,000,000 times
grosser than the grossest of the gross thing you've ever seen on TV.

I think the solution is to show *more* real graphic violence to people:
people reallly can be shocked into civility.  Go to www.ogrish.com and
watch some of the videos and see if you feel the same.