Re: Opium [was: Re: freelance sysadmining -- superlong -- [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]]

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 19:28, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 10:54:15AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > I wonder if, in some ways, the US isn't too big/diverse to be led
> > by any one person, and distinctive personalities can only emerge
> > on the state level.
>
> I've wondered how Canada ended up like how America's founding fathers
> wanted and the US came out more like what it seems like Canada's
> founders were going for.

Because Canada wasn't born in rebellion, and doesn't still have
individualism as part of it's ethos?

Because Canadians *like* government?

> > No, none of these techniques are perfect, but, IMO, they are pro-
> > ducing more ok-educated students than before, which is a baby-
> > step in the right direction.  For example, the 2002 "valedictorian"
> > of a certain New Orleans school hasn't been allowed to graduate,
> > because she can't read at the high school (much less 12th grade)
> > level.
>
> Ouch!  The valedictorian at my graduation (which I was not invited to
> or allowed to walk, because the guidance counselor really was out to
> get me) gave me one of his tickets and gave me some of his speech
> time.  Guidance counselor got fired.

Jeez.  No wonder he(?) was fired.

A stink in New Orleans that has gotten some play is whether young
people who passed all their classes, but failed the GEE (Graduate
Exit Exam), will get to wear their cap-and-gown, but only get a
blank piece of paper, instead of their diploma.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Vanity, my favorite sin."
Larry/John/Satan, "The Devil's Advocate"