Re: maybe I missed a thread

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 14:01, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 07:09, Tom Allison wrote:
> > I have been unsubscribed from 'debian-user' for a bit so I may have
> > missed a thread on this one.
> >
> > But there has been a lot of discussion on other distro-lists about the
> > potential implications concerning the recent announcements of
> > RedHat/Fedora and SuSE/Novell.  From the other lists, there's a lot of
> > discussion about alternatives and with that Debian is mentioned A LOT.
> >
> > Does any of this have any real potential influence on Debian?
>
> How about an influx of "users" who depend on GUI for administration,
> and who aren't sick of RPM?

Maybe I'm missing the big point here. I often do. So RHL is no longer
available, and support for RHL is going away.There is Project Fedora for
home use (and it will probably fit in well with the small office/home
office set). All existing training should still apply. The distribution
is free. Not a bad deal at all. If a small business wants an enterprise
solution, they can go to RHEL'

I also don't how Novell can hurt SuSE. I'm running SuSE 8.2 Personal on
my desktop, and find it VERY constraining (if you want to use YaST2, you
stick with SuSE packages and the SuSE package manager).My desktop works
very well, but I find it kind of a*retentive. I don't see where Novell
could make it even stricter.

If a person wants a very simple distribution with a GUI installer, there
is Mandrake. I wouldn't let the RedHat and SuSE discussions get to me -
there are PLENTY of alternatives!