Re: problems with cdwriter on woody-system

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 09:26:23PM +0100, Palfalvi Richard wrote:
> Am Don, 2003-11-13 um 20.53 schrieb duck:
> > As before, since it's all built in to the kernel, you don't really
> > need /etc/modules. In /etc/lilo.conf I think you need following in
> > your append line:
> >
> > hdc=ide-scsi ide-cd ignore=hdc
> >
> > And then run update-lilo (as root) after.  That should make it work.
>
> I edited again /etc/lilo.conf and put the following line in:
>
> append="hdc=ide-scsi ide-cd ignore=hdc"
>
> then I run lilo as root. this worked without error BUT:
>
> after the reboot there seem to be no great change.
>
> I did a cdrecord -scanbus again and had still the error-message I
> already had before :-(
>
> As I am booting from floppy-disk: Does the kernel read my /etc/lilo.conf
> on my harddisk or is there some /etc/lilo.conf on the floppy itself.
> Maybe this is the reason why it doesn't work??

The problem is that ide-cd is claiming the CD-ROM drive and CD-Writer.
For example, on my machine, without the ide-cd ignore=hdc line, I get
the following in dmesg:

hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver.
hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, DMA
hdd: attached ide-cdrom driver.
hdd: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache, UDMA(33)

as opposed to

ide-cd: ignoring drive hdc
hdd: attached ide-cdrom driver.
hdd: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache, UDMA(33)

when I do have the ignore line.

The floppy disk may be a factor. I'm not sure. I don't boot off
floppy disk and I don't use LILO (switched to GRUB). Check out
dmesg. You should have a line similar to

Kernel command line: root=/dev/hde5 ro

Which will tell you what parameters are being passed to the kernel. If
all that append guff doesn't come up here, edit the boot prompt by
hand, i.e. when the lilo boot screen appears

boot: linux

append the append line from lilo.conf, thus:

boot: linux hdc=ide-scsi ide-cd ignore=hdc <enter>

--
Gee Law
PGP/GPG KeyID:0x72B0AF08