Re: problems with cdwriter on woody-system

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 06:38:09PM +0100, Palfalvi Richard wrote:
> Am Mit, 2003-11-12 um 21.37 schrieb duck:
>
> > I think you need scsi_mod and sr_mod (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I
> > have also included the relevant bits from dmesg below.
>
> When I did "insmod sr_mod" or insmod scsi_mod"  the errormessage was
> ==> insmod: sr_mod: no module by that name found
> ==> insmod: scsi_mod: no module by that name found

Sorry. My mistake. I presume you're running 2.4.18-bf2.4 or some other
similar pre-packaged kernel where sr_mod and scsi_mod are compiled
into the kernel. Hence these modules do not need to be loaded.

> How are these modules named when I work with MODCONF (I couldn't find
> them in there!?)
>
> > I think you also need to stick "ide-cd ignore=hdc" in
> > /etc/modutils/aliases too, (and run update-modules after) since your
> > ide-cd modules is loaded before your ide-scsi module.
>
> sorry, but what do you mean with STICK "ide-cd ....." in ..
>
> I found the aliases-file (see attachment) but how is the syntax for this
> ignore-command? Is it something like options= blablabla??

OK. Since the stuff is compiled directly into the kernel you need to
put the relevant options into /etc/lilo.conf instead

> > Alternatiely, you can swap the order of ide-scsi and ide-cd in
> > /etc/modules.
>
> I do NOT have any /etc/modules directory or file on my PC !?? I have no
> idead why this file is missing and everything else runs fine except the
> cdwriter-problem .....
>
> So can I create it by myself or with a special command? And what should
> be the exact content of it to have the right order of modules?

As before, since it's all built in to the kernel, you don't really
need /etc/modules. In /etc/lilo.conf I think you need following in
your append line:

hdc=ide-scsi ide-cd ignore=hdc

And then run update-lilo (as root) after.  That should make it work.

--
Gee Law
gee@cromulent.org.uk                           PGP/GPG KeyID:0x72B0AF08