Re: freelance sysadmining [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]

http://neuromancer.homelinux.com/~vikki/windowsvlinux.html

> > Basic Plan:
> > When a patch for your distro is released, I will patch the system. I
> > will also set up a firewall customized for your needs. Whenever you
> > feel you need a kernel upgrade, I'll custom-compile a new kernel for
> > your system.
>
> ..cut this in 2 parts (basic and kernel?), KISS.  ;-)

Aight, that sound good.  $10 per kernel upgrade?

> > Two questions now: is there anything else I should offer with either
> > plan? And, how much do you think I should charge monthly (in USD)?
>
> ..listen to Tom and Ron, start out low till you have "enough" work,
> then hoist your prices to control the work flow.  Price yourself out of
> the boring stuff.  No warranties, other than on hardware and "from a
> backup", or you'll have Bill Gates shills ram it down your throat.

Aight, that sounds  like a really good plan.

> ..and, do team up with somebody, your clients wants things fixed "right
> now" when you're busy, and you can sell your own vacant time.

That'll be tough-- I'm (AFAIK) the only person in my area who's ever used a
Linux box for any significant amount of time.   I have been thinking about
that, though, 'cause you're right-- there are times I'll want to go out or
something, and I need someone to work while I'm out.

> ..802.11 connectivity plans in your area?  Fast piping is not all that
> cheap.  ;-)

Sometime within the first half of next year I'm going to be getting
home-class ADSL (I'll upgrade to business class when I start making some
money).  I should be done with high school and have ADSL by the time this
idea catches on.  I hope.

--
Vikki Roemer        Homepage: http://neuromancer.homelinux.com/
Registered Linux user #280021   http://counter.li.org/

The Trend in computer self-help literature these days seems to be:
"Assume the user has the I.Q. of a potato." We don't do that.
                                          (from "The LYX Tutorial")

PGP fingerprint: 0A3E 0AE4 CCD9 FF31 B4BB  C859 2DE1 B1D8 5CE0 1578
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/