Re: update-rc.d

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
update-rc.d is working as intended. Read its manpage about how you as the
local admin should interact with it.

In particular, update-rc.d is to be used ONLY by the packaging system, not
by the local admin.

Thanks for the quick response. However, I am not sure if I understand correctly. The manpage only states that:

a) if the sysadmin wants to fiddle with the links, he may do so (presumably by hand?) and the packaging system will not touch them *provided the sysadmin leaves at least one of the links*. Now, I can see how to use this to remove all but an unreachable link (i.e., a K99ipmasq link in an unused runlevel) so that the system does not touch them, but I do think that it is very ugly, tricking the system and not fixing it.

b) update-rc.d will remove its links if requested and the script is not there (well, or if -f is used as I do), if its first argument is purge, so that the user has requested the configuration to be removed. Now, this is just what I do not want to do: I want to leave the package in the system, so that re-activating it does not require net access (a bit silly with ipmasq, I know, but as I said this is general).

As I said in the first message, I do not know how to keep a package installed in the system and yet be able to de-activate its startup scripts, sort of like leaving it unconfigured. I am sorry, but although I try to read as much documentation as I have available, in many cases the problem is to know where to look. I have not seen anywhere that update-rc.d is intended only for the packaging system, for example, and indeed I only came across the update-rc.d script while trying to configure the startup behavior of the system and reading the /etc/init.d scripts directly.

I would really like to know if there is such thing as a Debian system's administration guide that documents all of the clever scripts and schemes that all of you implement: I really would like to know the way in which the /etc/network scripts are intended to be used or modified, for example, in order to couple them with things like netenv for laptop alternative startup configuration, or PCMCIA/hotplug interaction, or ... In summary, I need pointers to the appropriate documents, or, more properly, meta-documents that guide me through the sea of configuration scripts, not how each of them works. Man pages are fine for each one of the scripts, but the man pages are not very good for the interaction of many scripts.

Thanks again for your help,

  Miguel

--
---
 Miguel Alvarez Blanco

 E-mail:    miguel@carbono.quimica.uniovi.es
 HomePage:  http://web.uniovi.es/qcg/mab/miguel.html
 Mail: Dpto. Quimica Fisica y Analitica, Universidad de Oviedo.
       Facultad de Quimica, c/ Julian Claveria, 8. 33006-Oviedo, Spain.
 Phone: +34 98510 5017  Fax: +34 98510 3125  Dpt.Office: +34 98510 3034