Re: freelance sysadmining [WAS: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"]

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:04:07 -0500,
vikki@neuromancer.homelinux.com (Vikki Roemer) wrote in message
<[🔎] 20031112000407.GE2718@neuromancer.homelinux.com>:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 03:32:18PM +0100, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> >
> > ..oooooh, daring.  You oughtta come up with a policy on how you
> > wanna sysadmin or coach your clientele, and upfront.  Good luck!
> > ;-)
>
> Well, I've come up with this  much (quote from  my website
> http://neuromancer.homelinux.com/foosoft.html):
> FooAdmin
> For a monthly fee, I will administer your computers. There are 2
> plans.

..you lost your Wintendo-vs-Linux paper, url?

> Basic Plan:
> When a patch for your distro is released, I will patch the system. I
> will also set up a firewall customized for your needs. Whenever you
> feel you need a kernel upgrade, I'll custom-compile a new kernel for
> your system.

..cut this in 2 parts (basic and kernel?), KISS.  ;-)

> Premium Plan:
> You get the basic plan, plus I will install/compile and configure any
> packages you want.
>
> Two questions now: is there anything else I should offer with either
> plan? And, how much do you think I should charge monthly (in USD)?

..listen to Tom and Ron, start out low till you have "enough" work,
then hoist your prices to control the work flow.  Price yourself out of
the boring stuff.  No warranties, other than on hardware and "from a
backup", or you'll have Bill Gates shills ram it down your throat.

..you also wanna disclaim warranty on boxes with wintendo, as you have
_no_ control over how ugly things get post-SCO, IBM hopping into the
linux desktop race happens for a reason.  ;-)

..and, do team up with somebody, your clients wants things fixed "right
now" when you're busy, and you can sell your own vacant time.

..802.11 connectivity plans in your area?  Fast piping is not all that
cheap.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: