Re: fetchmail, when does one loose email?

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 10:15, Jacob S. wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:36:30 -0500
> ScruLoose <scruloose+debuser@eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:40:37PM +0100, David Jardine wrote:
> > > On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 11:22:44AM +0100, wsa wrote:
>
> <snip - wondering when fetchmail can lose mail>
>

> > > Successful delivery to your MTA.  What your MTA then does with it
> > > is something that fetchmail knows nothing about.
> >
> > I don't know if that's _entirely_ true.  I think that fetchmail waits
> > for one of the "okay I handled that successfully" SMTP codes from the
> > MTA before it deletes the message off the POP server.  If it gets a
> > failure code from the MTA it will _not_ delete the mail.
> >
> > So really, the only way you're likely to lose your mail with fetchmail
> > is if your MTA is so misconfigured that it'll lose mail and still
> > report a success.
>
> I believe ScruLoose is right. I recently changed the configuration on my
> mailserver and started getting reports from friends about e-mails
> bouncing - with my new configuration, I needed to tell fetchmail to
> deliver to username@mydomain.net, instead of simply "username". So, they
> were seeing bounce messages saying there was no such user on my server.

Do you use your ISP's smtp server, or your own smtp server?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Note to LSU and Valdosta State students: India is not an Arab
country!
http://www.talonnews.com/news/2003/october/1009_college_dems_jind
al.shtml